1. Provide definitions of culture and communication based upon the material in the text and lectures notes and describe the challenges of doing so. In other words once you provide a statement on culture and communication what are its limitations and how might it constrain what culture actually is?
2. Compare and contrast the perspectives of cross-cultural psychology (SS) and cultural psychology (IA). In doing so give a description of the basic interests and goals, methods and assumptions for each. Also indicate which approach(es) is best for the study of intercultural communication, including the Critical and Dialectical Approaches.
3. What is the emic-etic dispute and how does it relate to the study of culture and language? Give an example of each as they pertain to the material covered in this course.
4. What is intercultural communication and what are the most important reasons for studying it? In providing your answer give examples that illustrate what it is and why it is important to study.
5. Provide a description of one of the models of understanding cultural patterns and how that impacts our understanding of history and identities. Also evaluate it from the dialectical perspective by showing how it represents the Social Science, Interpretive or Critical Approach as indicated in the text.
6. Compare and contrast the models of self presented in class for Japan and China. Discuss the similarities and differences that you find between them.
7. Discuss the model of individualism and collectivism as presented in class and in the text. Compare this model with others presented in the course and provide your own critical appraisal of the merits and demerits of this model.
8. What are the roles of language in intercultural communication? What are the important features of language and where can one expect difficulties or challenges in communication across cultures?
9. Describe the main functions and characteristics of non-verbal behaviour as it pertains to intercultural communication. Discuss the main features of non-verbal behaviour and provide examples that illustrated them.
10. Choose a culture and outline the most important issues to consider when conducting business as a forreigner to this culture. In your answer be specific with regards to cultural values, managament, negotiation styles, and business protocols that you would adhere to for successful intercultural business interaction.
11. Intercultural communication and engagments can be viewed as a "transition." Critically discuss how the different models of acculturation can be applied to intercultural work or prolonged engagement.
12. Outline Berry's model of acculturation and the research that has been drawn from it regarding the various acculturative styles and other psychological characteristics including stress.
13. Compare and contrast the biomedical, personalistic and naturalistic models of health with respect to: causes, treatments, and prevention of illness.
14. What are the most important issues that a medical practitioner needs to be concerned with when working in a culturally diverse situation? Give examples of the issues and indicate how one can work to overcome difficulties in communication and the promotion of better health.
15. Pick a specific intercultural conflict and describe the nature of the conflict and suggest how best to resolve the conflict given the cultures invovled. Reference your approach in terms of the social science, critical, interpretive and dialectical perspectives.
16. Compare and contrast three theories of prejudice and discrimination and indicate how one would best combat prejudice based upon each of those models. Be sure to indicate what the source of prejudice is and what needs to be done to remedy such situations.
17. What are the most important issues that one must be concerned with when becoming inter-culturally competent? What sorts of tasks and skills does one need to learn and what other information about communication and culture is important for people to learn in becoming competent?
18. What role does music play in cultural communication? Give examples from the class project of what you learned about culture through music and what aspects of your culture you were able to communicate through music.
19. What have you personally learned about intercultural communication in this course? Give examples of specific activities, situations, information or readings you have been exposed to and how they have had an impact on your learning. What do you think is the most important lesson from this course? What was missing?